The Gold Wing’s engine and chassis were designed in unison for the 2018 rebirth, to move the riding position forward and create a much more compact motorcycle. The aluminium beam frame is constructed around a double wishbone front fork, which allows the engine to sit forward in the machine – as the front wheel moves up and down in a more vertical plane – while providing high quality suspension control and front-end stability thanks to its stiffness and reduced friction.
Optimised for size, the 24V flat six-cylinder engine lost none of its power, avalanche of torque or addictive power delivery. The addition of Throttle By Wire (TBW) control brought with it 4 rider modes: TOUR, SPORT, ECON and RAIN; the operation of the Dual Combined Brake System (D-CBS) alters depending on the mode selected. Hill Start Assist (HSA) and (on the DCT option) Idling Stop offer ease of use and improved fuel efficiency.
The manual transmission is 6-speed, while DCT features 7 speeds, with clutch feel, shift speed and rpm range of up/downshifts tailored specifically to each riding mode. It also features a ‘creep’ forward and back function. The manual machine employs the same electric reverse system as featured on previous designs.
The Gold Wing offers a total sense of freedom, with sheer riding enjoyment and performance matched by stylish design. An aerodynamically efficient fairing channels air around the rider, while the electric screen adjusts for preference; the luxurious seats offer all-day comfort. The lightweight audio system and speakers show off newly upgraded sound quality. And features like Smart Key operation, Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™ and Bluetooth™ provide modern-day convenience and connectivity.
The 2021 GL1800 Gold Wing is available in a contemporary new Pearl Deep Mud Grey colour scheme, with orange accents on the front fender, engine cover, headlight surround, fuel tank and rear section.
Styling & Equipment
- Taut lines with a contemporary edge show off the motorcycle underneath
- Electric windscreen adjustable for angle and height
- Cruise control operates smoothly via Throttle By Wire (TBW)
- Ample luggage capacity for weekend touring
- 7-inch TFT display provides riding, navigation and audio information
- Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ allow smartphone use
- Full LED lighting and auto-cancelling indicators
- Smart Key control adds convenience for ignition and luggage
- Two USB Type-C sockets
- Horizontally-opposed, flat six-cylinder SOHC 24-valve engine
- Throttle By Wire (TBW) with 4 rider modes to tailor power output
- Riding modes also manage suspension damping and brake force
- Idling Stop and Integrated Starter Generator (ISG) on DCT version
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- 6-speed manual gearbox with assist/slipper clutch and electric reverse; 7 speed DCT gearbox
- Die-cast, aluminium twin-beam frame
- Double wishbone front suspension and Pro-Arm rear
- ABS and Dual-Combined Braking System (D-CBS)
Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)
- Third-generation 7-speed DCT
- Smooth and quiet, with ultra-fast shifting
- Walking mode allows machine to ‘creep’ forward or back
- The 4 riding modes also manage DCT for optimised response
- Optimised low speed manoeuvrability